In a nutshell…
We have a great opportunity for a Safety, Health & Environment Advisor to join our team within Vistry Services, covering sites across North Yorkshire. As our Safety, Health & Environment Advisor you will be responsible for supporting Vistry Group in the safe planning, delivery and review of a variety complex projects across all areas of the construction and maintenance industry whilst ensuring compliance with the Vistry Group Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Policies, Standards and legislation.
Let’s cut to the chase, what’s in it for you…
- Competitive basic salary and annual bonus
- Agile working possible (dependent on role)
- Up to 33 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare and Dental Insurance
- Competitive contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance – 4 x your annual salary
- Share incentive schemes
- Employee rewards portal with many more benefits…
In return, what we would like from you…
- Behave in line with our company values – Integrity, Caring and Quality
- Must have NEBOSH Construction or equivalent diploma.
- Experience in the construction industry
- Experience in a Safety Advisor role within Residential Construction or Tier 1 Contracting
- Member of a Professional Body, progressing to Chartered status.
- Experience in housebuilding desirable
More about the Safety, Health & Environment Advisor role…
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of Vistry Group in respect of the CDM Regulations for each project and agree a course of action with the Business Manager and Site Manager to satisfy these requirements.
- Facilitate the implementation of policies and procedures within business units to help reduce risk and support a positive SHE culture.
- Proactively drive and promote the Vistry Group’s behavioural approach through site visits, management meetings and forums.
- Support the successful implementation of the Group’s ActivSHEQ database through promotion and of the system at site level and input of data required by an SHE Advisor in accordance with company guidance and timescales.
- Support SHE line management in the implementation of all Group SHE Standards and report any issues arising on site or within business units which may have an impact on SHE compliance and/or SHE resource requirements.
- Actively support the business units as an Advisor in regular SHE Management Reviews, to assess and improve performance. Support the business in planning reviewing and achieving SHE objectives.
- Support the business in measuring and monitoring performance against the Group and Divisional Sustainability Route Maps.
- Maintain a dynamic and driven approach to promoting and supporting SHE across the Group.
- Promote Vistry Group as a business which effectively manages SHE, through communications with relevant external professionals, e.g. legislative authorities and industry associations, forums, etc.
- Provide specialist support through advice and guidance for the completion of pre-qualification and tender documentation.
- Assist site management in preparing the construction SHE Plans prior to a project commencing and review them at each monthly safety, health and environmental review to plan for future activities.
- Carry out a formal SHE reviews on all sites, on a monthly basis as a minimum, to ensure compliance with the Vistry Group SHE Policies, Standards and legislation. Ensure that all reviews are thorough, factually based, independent and show a truthful reflection of site conditions and compliance with Vistry Group Standards. All formal reviews must include a review of forward planning for up and coming works for at least, but not limited to four weeks. Where practicable, carry out informal interim site visits to offer support, advice and guidance to site teams once minimal review requirements have been met (this will include cross over visits to other sites and/or other regions as directed by the Regional SHE Manager)
- Where working practices pose a significant risk to safety, health or the environment, ensure that the unsafe operation is stopped, that site and business unit management are informed immediately and provide the appropriate support, advice and assistance in identifying and implementing the necessary remedial actions.
- Provide suitable safety, health and environmental information to the business in the form of staff briefings, annual update forums, workshops, presentations, etc. and support and participate in any company induction programmes, as appropriate.
- Assist in the collation of SHE information for monthly reports and input the relevant information into the Vistry Group database.
- Identify areas/operations that require specific safety, health and/or environmental instructions and organise and undertake this instruction on site, as required.
- Provide information in the form of instructions, Best Practice Guidance, Codes of Practice, Information Sheets etc., and ensure site teams are provided with Group communications on safe working practices and alerts.
- Ensure induction instructions are reviewed every month for relevance to current operations and ensure they are effectively carried out on each project.
- Assist project teams in the review of high-risk contractors’ method statements, provide any assistance required in assessing other method statements and monitor the implementation of the same on site.
- Assist business units in the performance management of subcontractors.
- Ensure, by instructions, advice, information and training, that projects are being carried out to meet Vistry Group SHE standards.
- Ensure that the Site Manager is advised if the project is not achieving Vistry Group SHE standards and further advise the Operations Director, Business Unit Managing Director, Regional Environmental Advisor, Group Environmental Manager and Group SHE Director, as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regarding the Health and Safety Policy and all relevant inspections, accidents and incidents. Ensure that relevant accidents and dangerous occurrences are reported promptly to the Business Unit Directors, Group SHE Director and the HSE as required.
- Promptly investigate all safety, health and environmental accidents/incidents as required by legislation and best practice, in accordance with company guidance and timescales. Make known and discuss any significant findings/recommendations throughout Vistry Group.
- Assist business units in closing out all incident investigations promptly and completely. Ensure all investigation recommendations are implemented.
- Liaise with Business Unit Managers on a project’s safety, health and environmental standards.
- Provide feedback on the effectiveness of Group SHE Management Systems and any improvements necessary.
Finally, lets tell you a bit about us…
At Vistry Group, we build more than homes. We develop sustainable communities across all sectors of the UK housing market through our leading housing brands Bovis Homes, Linden Homes and Countryside Homes. Delivered through Vistry Housebuilding, Countryside Partnerships and Vistry Works with the support of Vistry Services, our values of integrity, caring, and quality continue to shape all we do.
We’re proud that our UK Green Building Council membership, 2021 Large Housebuilder of the Year award and status as a UK top-five housebuilder with a five-star House Builders Federation (HBF) customer satisfaction rating allows us to transform land into thriving spaces. We’re also proud that our culture sees everyone treated fairly and respectfully, with diversity and inclusion a top priority and reasonable adjustments provided during the application process. From memories and communities to worthwhile careers, we’re making Vistry.
Job Type: Permanent – Full Time
Location Detail: , ,