Hello, we’re Starling. We built a new kind of bank because we knew technology had the power to help people save, spend and manage their money in a new and transformative way. We’re a fully licensed UK bank with the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive tech company. We’re a bank, but better: fairer, easier to use and designed to demystify money for everyone. We employ more than 2,500 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff and Manchester offices.
To support our ongoing growth we’re looking to recruit a Financial Risk Manager within the 2nd line Risk function reporting to the Head of Capital Risk. The role entails supporting the Director of Financial Risk and the Head of Capital Risk with the oversight and challenge of capital risk, climate- related financial risk and resolution & recovery planning, and undertake data and scenario analysis. It will be a hands-on analytical role with senior management exposure and opportunity to learn and develop. This role represents a fantastic opportunity to join a fintech firm and to shape the Bank’s approach to managing financial risk.
Will include but not be limited to the following. Responsibilities will be flexible depending on the skills of the successful candidate:
– Supporting the Head of Capital Risk with review and challenge of the following:
- The bank’s Recovery Plan and Resolvability Assessment Framework
- The bank’s ICAAP
- The bank’s stress testing process and outputs
– Undertaking assurance reviews/model reviews and providing oversight of:
- The accuracy and appropriateness of management information used to monitor against risk metrics
- The accuracy and appropriateness of prudential regulatory reporting
- Appropriateness of risk controls
- Implementation of risk appetite and policies
– Inputting into the setting of Capital Risk Appetite.
– Reviewing strategic initiatives and considering the impact on capital and resolvability.
– Writing the financial risk report for Executive and Board Risk Committees.
– Data analysis work. Examples include analysis of climate risk data and analysis of assumptions used in the business plan.
- At least 5 years of experience in at least a relevant area outlined.
- Knowledge of regulations relevant to prudential risk and an understanding of prudential regulatory developments.
- Relevant & recent experience of at least one of at least one of ICAAP, Recovery Plan, Resolvability Assessment Framework (RAF), climate risk analysis and/or capital regulatory reporting. (drafting, preparation or detailed review and challenge). For example, roles within a bank 1st or 2nd line, consultancy firm or regulator.
- Excellent financial analytical skills including excellent Excel skills with the ability to use or learn Python to undertake independent financial and scenario analysis.
- Good attention to detail and a willingness to learn.
- Flexible and adaptable; must be able to juggle multiple competing priorities whilst managing expectations.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to challenge in a positive manner and handle difficult situations.
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentivised refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.
We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.