At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
In 2017, Tarmac acquired JB Riney, who over 40 years have become a trusted partner to many Local Authorities and Councils in the London area, delivering a wide range of highway services and civil engineering projects. This continued growth sees increased apprenticeship opportunities based out of our Waltham Forest site, for those interested in pursuing a career in highways maintenance.
Our Operative (highways) Apprenticeship scheme is 18 – 24 months duration with off-the-job training in the form of one week in every three months at college, to complete the level 2 qualification as a Highway Maintenance Skilled Operative. You will also benefit from valuable hands-on experience, learning from skilled individuals in our business and enjoying variety in your role.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Activities may include:
· Working on rural and urban roads to repair damaged surfaces, using hand and power tools and pedestrian plant machinery.
· Working in a team, you will repair potholes, complete surface work, replace kerbs, installing street iron works and much more!
· In addition, you will be trained in using machinery and plant. For example; steel saws, rollers and dumpers.
· You will be given full manual handling training and helped to obtain a CSCS card.
Working on site will involve working outside. It won’t always be glamorous but be assured your safety and health is our number one priority and full protective clothing and equipment is provided. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-today role you will complete our Highway Maintenance Skilled Operative Level 2, giving you good grounding to start a career in our industry. Further details of the qualification can be found here:
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success. This following transferable skills and qualifications are beneficial in this role:
Preferably GCSEs A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) in both English and Maths, however D or 3 are acceptable, We’ll provide you with all the support you need you to reach functional skills level 2 in these subjects
- Willingness to listen and learn.
- Team player.
- Communication skills.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Good attitude around working safely – this is our no.1 priority.
Salary: Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
Location: London, London, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/67621/3951