Tarmac are recruiting for a Technical Supervisor for Europe’s largest infrastructure project, HS2.
HS2 Ltd will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
The successful candidate will manage the relevant HS2 technical teams and daily laboratory operations, ensuring that effective unit and product quality control is maintained in accordance with health, safety and technical specification requirements. You will also ensure there is effective liaison and team working with colleagues in the operational and commercial teams. In addition you will develop and coach the technical team within their areas of responsibility to ensure the high health and safety standards and culture is maintained. You’ll work hard to minimise complaint costs and establish safe operating procedures in conjunction with the phase managers. In the role of Technical Supervisor you will have responsibility for ensuring sampling and testing requirements are fully met and that the HS2 technical lab is operated safely and efficiently. The role is very ‘hands on’ and you’ll assist technicians where necessary, as well as deputise for the Quality Manager at internal or external meetings as required.
In this role you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
• Ensuring health and safety is the number one priority in all aspects of your role and responsibilities including the management of the HSE responsibility
• Providing a full and effective testing process in accordance with standards and accreditation and identifying any quality issues with the aim of instigating appropriate corrective action
• Management of the concrete testing regime for all Readymix and Precast concrete as well as aggregate testing requirements on the project.
• Ensuring there is highly effective technical team organisation and that all business requirements are fulfilled to optimise products re: cost and performance
• Working with operational teams to deliver high quality Readymix and Precast concrete to our customer Align JV.
• Monitoring and assisting operations to meet the compliance and consistency criteria to ensure all products conform
• Ensuring all technical operational systems are adhered to in accordance with quality control plans and procedures and meet compliance standards where required.
• Assisting with investigations on complaints and making recommendations for improvements
• Providing external commercial team support to key customers and stakeholders also supporting the internal sales department and delivering, where appropriate, technical dashboard accountability
• Supporting the quality manager in all aspects of the performance management process including completion of all appraisals, creation of development.
The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate previous experience and knowledge of RMX products and their applications along with practical knowledge of legislation, test methods and material standards and specifications. The opportunity also requires a proven knowledge of concrete design and installation techniques as well as a detailed knowledge of production processes and techniques. Understanding of geology and experience with hard rock quarries is advantageous as is a sound knowledge of added value products and production process requirements.
It is likely that you will have a Readymix Concrete NVQ or proven experience of relevant internal or external training courses as well as formal health and safety qualifications.
Possession of a current full clean driving licence is essential and a current valid CSCS card advantageous.
Experience of working in a similar role within a large complex multi-site business is also desirable. You will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and an organised individual who has a pragmatic and approachable personality. It is essential that you adopt a conscientious attitude to working safely.
Salary: Fantastic Salary + Benefits + Bonus
Location: Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/109/2294