Required from 1st September 2021
- Do you believe in inclusion for life, and not just at school?
- Would you like to work in a school with clear and shared aims and values?
- Would you like your school to have a powerful impact on the lives of vulnerable children and young people?
- Do you want to cut out unnecessary admin and become more creative?
- Are you looking for high quality professional development?
If so, Garratt Park School may be for you.
We are a special school for students aged 11-19 with moderate learning difficulties. Around half have ASD, and one third have input from our own speech and language and occupational therapy team. They are from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds: more than half are from ethnic minority groups, and nearly half attract pupil premium.
We are located near Earlsfield station, which has excellent links with central London and Surrey. The local area is culturally rich.
Our chief aims are:
- To prepare our students for full social inclusion, because students are at the centre of all we do.
- Provide a range of academic and practical accreditations from Entry Level to GCSE. All students take the Duke of Edinburgh Award and the Personal Development Programme.
- Offer experiences in the local community, including college placements, work experience and a wide variety of trips and visits. We have formed links with Tate Modern, the Oval and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and others.
- Ensure that our students go to college or into work when they leave us; over 5 years, 97% have found appropriate placements.
Our staff are a culturally diverse group with varied experience in primary and secondary mainstream schools, as well as in special schools. The staff is highly supportive, and teachers value the support of teaching assistants, therapists, learning mentors and literacy support specialists. The Leadership Group provides strong support and direction.
The school is a highly popular choice amongst parents, both in Wandsworth and in surrounding authorities. Our funded number has increased over the last year. We are always over-subscribed, and currently have 212 students in 210 funded places.
Relationships in the school are founded on our UNICEF Rights Respecting Schools Award, which also underpins our Good Behaviour Policy.
What are we looking for?
We have a vacancy for a teacher. We would consider any subject specialism, and you may be primary or secondary trained. However, a willingness to be involved in school sports, including some PE teaching, would be an advantage.
Our staff are committed to the broad development of the students in their care, and want to give them the best possible life chances. Our values are Compassion, Honesty, Inspiration, Respect and Professionalism. You will be expected to contribute to these.
You will need to:
- Be calm and resilient
- Demonstrate creativity, adaptability and flexibility, sometimes at short notice
- Be able to seek alternative ways of engaging students in their learning.
- Form a strong but professional rapport with students is vital.
- Foster strong and positive partnerships with parents and carers.
- Have experience of working with Children and young people with SEND; this could be in a mainstream primary or secondary school, or in a special school. We are a welcoming and inclusive school community with a highly cohesive and positive staff. We offer high-quality in-service training. Would you like to join us?
Visits to the school before interview are welcomed. To arrange a visit, or for any further details, please contact Janice Button at the school on the telephone number or email firstname.lastname@example.org below.
An Application Form and supported documents can be downloaded below.
Completed application should be returned to the school either by email email@example.com or by post
Closing date: Wednesday 19th May 2021 (12:00 noon)
Interview date: Thursday 27th May 2021
Garratt Park has a strong safeguarding culture, in which reporting and whistleblowing are expected and encouraged. You will be expected to contribute to this culture.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Please note that CVs are not accepted.
GARRATT PARK SCHOOL
Waldron Road, London, SW18 3TB
Tel: 020 8946 5769
Headteacher: Michael Reeves
Current roll: 214
Teachers Pay Scale + 1 £2,270 (SEN point)