At Griffiths, our people are our company. The way in which we treat people – both our employees and the communities in which we live and work – is a core value that has driven our continued growth over the past five decades. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry. We are a Welsh regional civil engineering and construction contractor. Operating out of regional centres across Wales and England we construct new roads, bridges and railways as well as maintaining existing developments.
We are currently looking to recruit a SHEQ Adviser (Rail) to join our team covering the Wales and the West of England regions. Our Head Office is in Abergavenny however, we will require candidates to be flexible in their working locations as the role will involve extensive travel throughout Wales and the West of England, including overnight stays. Therefore, we welcome applicants also from Central and South Wales and also from the West Midlands.
We have extensive experience of working in partnership with Network Rail, Transport for Wales and local authorities on the design and construction of rail infrastructure projects, including renewal of existing build and construct assets, and multi-discipline enhancements projects.
What the SHEQ Adviser will be responsible for?
- Proactively promoting SHEQ best practice across projects within the region, identifying practical and deliverable measures to continually improve the overall performance
- Working collaboratively with operational management/supervisory teams across the business in the implementation of SHEQ standards and procedures necessary to ensure compliance with current applicable legislation and client requirements.
- Coaching and mentoring project teams and supervisors in behavioural safety and intervention techniques in response to poor safety practices or unsafe acts encountered on site.
- Actively promoting close call reporting across projects, encouraging and mentoring site teams in use of the electronic Incident reporting systems
- Providing professional occupational health and safety advice and guidance to project management, supervisors, workforce and contractors
- Being in conjunction with management to assist with formal accident, incident and close call investigations
- Undertaking site safety tours and inspections on behalf of the business
- Supporting operations, undertaking safety stand-downs and focused briefings within your area of responsibility
- Providing projects with Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental direction to ensure the business discharges its legal duty
To be successful in this role you will have proven extensive practical knowledge and experience of:
- Well-developed personal and organisational skills
- Self-motivated with a pro-active can do attitude and approach
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload
In addition, you will have proven experience in a Rail SHEQ Advisory role and be in possession of a recognised occupational Health and Safety membership of IOSH. (Ideally NEBOSH Construction, NVQ Level 5/6). Ideally you will also be environmentally qualified with membership of IEMA. If you have a detailed knowledge of both rail and civil engineering interfaces and practices that would be seen as advantageous, as would relevant experience in the use of incident reporting, SharePoint and other electronic management systems. The successful candidate should also have experience in the review and auditing of project documentation such as construction phase plans and work package plans in accordance with Network Rail Standard NR/L2/OHS/0044. Other additional skills include:
Previous experience in major engineering or rail infrastructure projects an advantage
Previous experience of ISO 45001:2018, ISO14001:2015 & ISO 9001:2015 an advantage
Previous experience of RISQS, Network Rail PC License standard desirable
Experience in Temporary Works and Lifting Operations in rail environment (desirable) Sentinel PTS and CSCS card
Salary: Competitive plus benefits
Location: Abergavenny, Gwent, Wales
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/97/1462