Starling is the UK’s first and leading digital bank on a mission to fix banking! Our vision is fast technology, fair service, and honest values. All at the tap of a phone, all the time.
We are about giving customers a new way to spend, save and manage their money while taking better care of the planet which has seen us become a multi-award winning bank that now employs over 2800 across five offices in London, Cardiff, Dublin, Southampton, and Manchester. Our journey started in 2014, and since then we have surpassed 4 million accounts (and four account types!) with 350,000 business customers. We are a fully licensed UK bank but at the heart, we are a tech first company, enabling our platform to deliver brilliant products.
Our technologists are at the very heart of Starling and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is all about building things, creating new stuff, and disruptive technology that keeps us on the cutting edge of fintech. We operate a flat structure to empower you to make decisions regardless of what your primary responsibilities may be, innovation and collaboration will be at the core of everything you do. Help is never far away in our open culture, you will find support in your team and from across the business, we are in this together!
The way to thrive and shine within Starling is to be a self-driven individual and be able to take full ownership of everything around you: From building things, designing, discovering, to sharing knowledge with your colleagues and making sure all processes are efficient and productive to deliver the best possible results for our customers. Our purpose is underpinned by five Starling values: Listen, Keep It Simple, Do The Right Thing, Own It, and Aim For Greatness.
About the role
As a member of our cyber security team you will be responsible for ensuring the protection of Starling information, assets and systems using the latest technologies and techniques, while working collaboratively with all stakeholders including wider operational business functions, second and third line. As an Information Security Analyst you will work on a variety of projects and activities with opportunities to own deliverables from start to finish. You will also gain exposure to a broad range of security domains and industry best practices which are invaluable when progressing a career within cyber security.
You will work on a variety of activities including:
- Participate in and support the design, implementation and continuous improvement of security solutions and processes aligned to Starling Banks strategy and risk appetite.
- Support the continuous development of security resilience capabilities embedding measures to protect Bank systems and assets.
- Share knowledge, advice and guidance with our wider organisation.
- Conduct timely security due diligence on Starling Banks third party vendors and selected solutions to identify, quantify and respond to cyber security risks.
- Scrutinise security documentation and compliance reports from third parties.
- Support the production of security reports to highlight any third party risks and subsequent mitigations.
- Actively participate in the delivery of the security strategy including development, maintenance and continuous improvement of security processes and procedures aligned to industry recognised best practices and standards.
- Identification, evaluation, selection and implementation of security products and services.
- Have at least 1 years of experience in a relevant Information Security Analyst, or similar, role.
- Have a good basic technical IT knowledge including a high level understanding of network and operating system security controls.
- Ability to indentify where third party vendors may fall short of security industry best practices and to communicate why this may introduce risks.
- Be able to articulate security risks to non-technical stakeholders.
- Have knowledge of basic risk management.
- Have an attention to detail and willingness to get involved.
- Enjoy problem solving.
- Be self motivated and want to continue to learn.
We are looking for individuals with experience across one or more of these areas. It is not expected that you will have worked in all of these.
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Have an understanding of security in a cloud environment (AWS, GCP).
- An information or cyber security related qualification or degree.
- Understanding of business continuity and disaster recovery practices.
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. In general you can expect the below, following a chat with one of our Talent Team:
- First interview, 45 minutes with someone from the team
- Second interview, 60 mins with some more members of the team
- Final interview, with our CISO and People Partner
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.
We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.