Starling is the UK’s first and leading digital bank on a mission to fix banking! Our vision is fast technology, fair service, and honest values. All at the tap of a phone, all the time.
We are about giving customers a new way to spend, save and manage their money while taking better care of the planet which has seen us become a multi-award winning bank that now employs over 2800 across five offices in London, Cardiff, Dublin, Southampton, and Manchester. Our journey started in 2014, and since then we have surpassed 4 million accounts (and four account types!) with 350,000 business customers. We are a fully licensed UK bank but at the heart, we are a tech first company, enabling our platform to deliver brilliant products.
Our technologists are at the very heart of Starling and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is all about building things, creating new stuff, and disruptive technology that keeps us on the cutting edge of fintech. We operate a flat structure to empower you to make decisions regardless of what your primary responsibilities may be, innovation and collaboration will be at the core of everything you do. Help is never far away in our open culture, you will find support in your team and from across the business, we are in this together!
The way to thrive and shine within Starling is to be a self-driven individual and be able to take full ownership of everything around you: From building things, designing, discovering, to sharing knowledge with your colleagues and making sure all processes are efficient and productive to deliver the best possible results for our customers. Our purpose is underpinned by five Starling values: Listen, Keep It Simple, Do The Right Thing, Own It, and Aim For Greatness.
About the role:
As a member of the Starling Cyber Security team, you will be working with some of the industry’s most talented cyber security professionals to protect Starling customers, company assets and systems using the latest technologies and techniques.
The primary objective for this role is to collaborate with, support, and guide Starling’s engineering and operations functions to ensure our services are designed, developed and operated securely.
As a member of our Identity and Access Management team you will:
- directly interact with multiple areas of the business to understand business and technical requirements,
- define the scope and approach to Identity-related controls and technical implementations (including undertaking appropriate research), and
- deliver technical solutions and designs, including alignment to our risk framework.
In addition, we understand the importance of knowledge and expertise remaining current and you shall support the continued advancement of our identity posture through research, design and implementation of new solutions, including automation. You will actively contribute to us remaining current with Cyber and Identity trends through research and development. Everyone’s opinion matters and we embrace a range of perspectives through inception to delivery.
This is an opportunity to join the growing Identity and Access Management team, where you will own projects, drive initiatives and see an impact in how we operate – both internally and with customers. We believe in small, empowered teams that are able to adapt quickly to emerging threats and technology. We work closely with other teams and take a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, balancing risk and operations.
What you’ll get to do:
- Design and implement identity projects, varying from technical changes to business analysis-based activities
- Collaborate with engineering and business teams to facilitate delivery, including:
- Review and analysis of proposed technical solutions and business processes to identify appropriate security controls.
- Input and guidance to security related technical architecture and design decisions.
- Identification and quantification of relevant risks to Starling systems and processes in the context of Starling’s desired security posture.
- Advising on remediation of security issues and processes to address root causes.
- Triage and management of IAM security events including, where necessary, participation in IAM security incident management.
- Maintenance of existing solutions, including operational improvements.
We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience or qualifications.
Ideally, we would like:
- 2+ years of Identity and Access Management experience, including delivery experience.
- Professional experience related to an Identity Provider, e.g. Active Directory, Okta, Ping, etc.
- Experience of fulfilling a client facing security consulting role or business facing security role.
- Understanding of risk management, including quantification and remediation.
- Strong identity knowledge, including Privileged Access Management, Role Based Access Control and Identity Governance.
- A desire to learn, and ability to apply technical security knowledge to new and unfamiliar areas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of networking and associated protocols as well as cloud security
- Any experience of programming in Python, Go and/or Java
- Experience in FinTech or Financial Services would be a bonus
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. In general you can expect the below, following a chat with one of our Talent Team:
- First interview, 45 minutes with the team lead
- Second interview, 60 mins with the team lead and another member of the team
- Final interview, with Senior member of the Tech org and People Partner
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
You may be put off applying for a role because you don’t tick every box. Forget that! While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’re always open to discussion. So, if you’re excited about working with us, but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.
We’re on a mission to radically reshape banking – and that starts with our brilliant team. Whatever came before, we’re proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.