At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
We are currently looking for an Environmental Monitoring Technician to join our team in Land and Natural Resources at Tarmac.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
Reporting directly to Environmental Monitoring Manager, you will be responsible for undertaking environmental monitoring duties, including a sampling of groundwater, surface waters and landfill leachate, recording water levels and measuring concentrations of landfill gas. You will be responsible for reporting the results and the follow-up actions to ensure the Company’s quarries and landfill sites are operated to minimise the impact on the environment and in accordance with legislative requirements. You will collate and report the data accurately and ensure compliance with the reporting schedules.
Importantly, around 90% of your work will be field based. This will include visiting our sites around the northern section of the M25, Hertfordshire and East Anglia to name a few.
You will be provided with a Toyota Hilux of which you will have a fuel card that will be fully expensed, but does not cover private use.
- Actively contribute to improving the sector’s safety performance by complying with the company’s health and safety requirements for the role.
- To carry out environmental monitoring on the Company’s sites, including quarries and landfills in line with Company procedures and Industry best practice.
- To plan and manage own time and workload on a month-by-month basis.
- The input of collected data into the LIS monitoring database ensuring that monitoring data is inputted correctly and accurately.
- Support the maintenance of site environmental management plans for closed landfills in line with Environmental Management System requirements.
- Support regulatory engagement regarding closed landfill sites.
- Undertake other environmental monitoring duties as required.
- To provide advice to site management, geologists, and estates team regarding permit or trigger level breaches relating to landfill gas, water quality and water levels to allow instigation of action to rectify or prevent future non-compliance.
- To provide support to Environmental Monitoring Manager as required.
This is a varied and rewarding position that requires good time management skills and self-motivation, along with the ability to work independently and follow complex procedures. Experience in data collection and reporting would be advantageous, as would computer literacy (using spreadsheets and databases), and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders.
- Good time management skills
- Experience of data collection and reporting.
- Computer literate, experience of spreadsheet and databases.
- Clear and effective communicator with a range of stakeholders
- Able to prioritise work, to work under own initiative with the ability to work to fixed deadlines, to understand and follow procedures.
Location: Hertford, Hertfordshire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/111/3195