Salary: £22183 – £27741
Shift hours: Full Time
The Housing and Homelessness Service is a very busy environment â€¯and faces several challenges to meet the housing needs of citizens of Coventry. The team have grown significantly during the last 12 months and this reflects the fact that Housing & Homelessness are now a key council priority.
The team are responsible for the delivery of the following service functions:
Provision of the statutory homeless service
Provision of temporary accommodation
Management of the housing register
Co-ordination of support to citizens rough sleeping
Commissioning of homeless services, and
Responsibility for housing strategy
The Council has a strategic vision that is clearly set out in both the Housing & Homelessness and the Rough Sleeping Strategies which were both approved in 2019.
By becoming part of an expanding team who are focused on preventing households from becoming homeless as well as providingâ€¯tailored support and interventions when someone does become homelessâ€¯this is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference to some of the most vulnerable people in our city.
Itâ€™s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
What is the job role?
We are recruiting for an Accommodation Officer, youâ€™ll join the team at an exciting time for the housing and homeless service, in the post youâ€™ll be responsible for the placement of homeless households into temporary accommodation, managing the provision of temporary accommodation, carrying a potential caseload and working with households in temporary accommodation to resolve issues quickly. Youâ€™ll need the ability to be creative and solution focused negotiating and connecting with people from all backgrounds.
- Statutory placements of households into temporary accommodation, identify where occupiers require additional support, to move households out of or between temporary accommodation to ensure the best use of stock.
- You will support in the management of customers in these properties and be a contact for both customers and landlords.
- Manage temporary accommodation tenancies dealing with issues of antisocial behaviour or other tenancy breaches taking appropriate action in a timely manner which could include serving notices or making Court applications.
- Assist with the collection of services charges, collection of rent and manage rent accounts ensuring that rent is paid in full and on time and tenants do not fall into arrears.
- You will be develop relationships with partners including social housing providers, the Voluntary and Community Sector, landlords, estate agents in order to identify suitable services, support and housing for customers.
- You will be working directly and negotiating with social housing providers, the private rented sector, other types of accommodation providers.
- To work closely with landlords and providers to secure properties to meet the housing needs of the households under the Housing and Homelessness duties, whether for temporary or permanent accommodation.
- Negotiate with Landlords regarding the condition of the property. If ready to let, to undertake the inspection in line with the required Coventry City Council standard. The prescribed inspection regime must be followed as a guide to this process. Training will be provided if required.
- To confirm landlords have provided all the required documentation ahead of entering into the tenancy agreement with the household. This will include the receipting of appropriate and in date gas, electrical and energy performance certificates.
- Discharging the housing duty as and when accommodation ends.
The role also includes the ongoing case management of homeless households in temporary accommodation in relation to tenancy management, rent collection and timely move-on into more permanent accommodation in order to discharge the Councilâ€™s rehousing duty.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
- Positive attitude towards helping people to overcome Homelessness
- Strong negotiating skills and advocacy skills.
- Resilience and determination to achieve right outcomes for Homeless people/families
- Willingness to learn about the relevant legislation for Housing and Homelessness
- The ability to travel around the City.
- You will be able to use your initiative, be forward thinking and solutions led due to this being a reactive role
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled ‘Coventry City Council Application Process’
Interview date(s): 18th June 2021
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere â€“ in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There’s a huge buzz about the city â€“ Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you’re happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We’ve created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, weâ€™re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. Weâ€™re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you wonâ€™t just be helping the community, youâ€™ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Location: Coventry, CV1 1FS